Friday 27 February 2015

DIY Catfish Lead Head Lure


As a competitive artlure angler I saw the benefit and advantage in creating my own custom lead heads/loodkoppe … whatever you want to call them for catching catfish/barbel and carp in South African waters.

My Inspiration  

?

?

?

?


I did a lot of online research and pulled in a lot of ideas from various facets of angling, and finally I started to make the first prototypes.



I didn’t want to be limited to a mould, as I wanted the freedom to be able to make lead heads with different hook sizes and weights. So I decided to use items that one could easily buy from almost any tackle shop, and tools and items from around the home.



I’m going to show how I make a large catfish lead head, but hooks, weights and materials can easily be scaled up and down as required to make smaller ones for carp.

The Shopping List

Size 4/0 strong, long-shank, wide gap hooks (e.g. Mustad 34007 or Mustad 4826A)


18 gram (+/- 5/8 oz) round ball sinker weights (various sizes available in the rock & surf or papgooi sections in tackle shops)



That’s about all the terminal tackle you’ll need …



No comments:

Post a Comment